This position serves two roles: as Patient Access Representative and the Chiropractic equivalent of a Medical Assistant, as a Chiropractic Assistant (CA). The CA services important functions in the chiropractic care delivery system and is usually the first point where contact is made personally or by telephone. The person will receive the patient and direct them to the chiropractic services needed. Making appointments and making preliminary assessment category of payment for patients are essential before provider can see them.
The dual role of the CA is to support the Chiropractic Department with appointment management, patient flow, record keeping, patient education, and miscellaneous duties. This makes the position an integral part of the Chiropractic Department services. The CA duties supports and helps to develop the professional relationship between the Chiropractor, other providers and staff in the clinic that directly affects the patient satisfaction and long term clinical outcomes.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Welcomes patients as they contact the center personally or by telephone, and explain the services available, payment categories, and billing procedures.
- Schedule appointments; direct walk-in patients and emergencies as per established policies and procedures.
- Answer calls and make appointment with the Chiropractor or makes appropriate referrals.
- Register all patients per registration protocols and collection all documentation and billing information per billing protocol. Ensure proper documentation and data collection/documentation.
- Assure that all services provided have been checked out properly for each patient and reconciles the day's activities for appropriate billing.
- Reviews and verifies patient coverage of insurance or other agencies and computes the charges to be paid by the patient.
- Arranges for collection deposits of co-pays/deductibles prior to the patient being seen by the provider per established policies and procedures. Inform patient of their outstanding balance, collect said balance, and issue cash receipt when monies are collected.
- Balance cash register in accordance with the cash handling policy when needed.
- Work closely with Medical, Dental and Nursing staff to assure a smooth patient flow and cut down on patient waiting time.
- Work closely with patients who did not keep their appointment for follow-up.
- Call and remind patient of his/her appointment.
- Follow-up on "no show" patients on a daily basis.
- Takes vital signs, documents and keeps accurate charting of patient care given as required by department.
- Communicate patient's problem/complaint to the Nurse Lead or his/her designee.
- Charting of patient care given as required by department and profession.
- Assist Chiropractor with patient education.
- Answer patient inquires about chiropractic and encourage referrals for spinal evaluations as appropriate.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability and willingness to treat all patients with the utmost kindness and consideration in the most trying situations.
- Friendly personality with the desire to work with SYHC patients and staff.
- Willingness to develop a strong working understanding of the chiropractic profession.
- Ability to handle multi-functions.
- Understanding and community based organization.
- Promotes and believes in SYHC's mission and vision statements.
- Ability to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religious, and economic status.
- Must be willing to work at any SYHC clinic location, other than the assigned site and be agreeable to work weekend, if so needed.
- Must maintain a valid California Driver's License and proof of insurance at all times to allow you to be placed in all SYHC clinics if needed.
- Reports directly to: Patient Access Manager
Education Required (Minimum level of education):
- High School or GED equivalent.
- Reliable vehicle with required CA Driver's License and car insurance
- Coverage or proof of another form of reliable transportations to SYHC's network of clinics.
- Medical Assistant Certificate.
- One-year of medical/dental or chiropractic assistant experience in a similar setting.
- Formal training from a vocational school in lieu of the above.
Verbal and Written Skills Required to Perform the Job:
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must have a professional and personable demeanor to maintain excellent working relationships in a fast paced executive administrative environment.
- Primarily working with other departments, outside vendors and visitors.
Technical Knowledge and Skills Required to Perform the Job:
- Required to learn and use the EHR/EOHR (Medical Practice Electronic System) and its components.
- As required by the job functions and highlighted in the policies and procedures.
- Personal computer, printer/fax, telephone, and other general office equipment.
San Ysidro Health is a Federally Qualified Health Care organization committed to providing high quality, compassionate, accessible and affordable healthcare services for the entire family.
The organization was founded by seven women in search of medical services for their families and community. Almost 50 years later, San Ysidro Health now provides innovative care to over 108,000 patients through a vast and integrated network of 47 program sites across the county. San Ysidro Health could not serve our patients without the dedication of our passionate and hardworking employees.
Apply today and become a part of our mission-driven team!
San Ysidro Health has a long-standing commitment to equal employment opportunity for all applicants for employment. Employment decisions including, but not limited to, those such as employee selection, performance evaluation, administration of benefits, working conditions, employee programs, transfers, position changes, training, disciplinary action, compensation, and separations are made without regard to reace, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming), creed, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, domestic partnership status, ancestry, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, civil union status, family status, age, mental or physical disability (including AIDS or HIV-related status), atypical heredity cellular or blood trait of an individual, genetic information or refusal to submit to a genetic test or make available the results of a genetic test, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
- 950 Euclid Ave, San Diego, CA 92114, USA
Associated topics: bilingual, care physician, family, family practice physician, hospitalist, nocturnist, physician md, primary, primary care, provider